Good morning. It’s Flag Day in Sweden and Swedish Language Day in … Finland. You may not know this, but Finland, like Canada, is officially bilingual – Finnish and Swedish. Here in Alberta there were some news stories tat bear repeating to UNA members and staff:
The Spanish nursing aide who became the first person infected with Ebola outside West Africa was released from a Madrid hospital yesterday.
Scores of parents who are owed more than $160,000 in taxpayer-covered expenses find themselves unsecured creditors in the bankruptcy of a Calgary private school. Officials with Alberta Education say hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants were paid to Green Learning Academy in late August based on verbal assurances that those funds would be used to reimburse families.
A union-funded publicity campaign extolling the virtues of the liquor-store monopoly of the Société des Alcools (SAQ) got some attention it could have done without Wednesday. In a 14-minute “documentary” on the website of labour-group CSN comparing Quebec’s wine and liquor network (favourably) with the privatized Alberta system, Edmonton resident Yao Datté was quoted as saying the people advising customers on their wine purchases in that province are “Pakistanis or Indians, who don’t know wine, who don’t even drink wine.”
Nunavut put the public health of Cape Dorset “at risk” by mishandling a nurse facing numerous complaints, according to internal government emails obtained by CBC News. One of the complaints stemmed from the 2012 death of a three-month-old Inuk boy, Makibi Timilak, who died from a common viral infection after the nurse allegedly refused to see him. The government ended up promoting the nurse to the community’s top nursing post.
"Tick bites, gluten, GMOs, artificial sweeteners, shark attacks – and now Ebola." … Many people respond to health risks, however small, in ways that take joy out of their lives, all the while falsely believing that they are protecting themselves, a commentator writes in the Globe and Mail.
Toronto’s Hospital for Sick Children remains all but silent on the implications of a recent court of appeal decision that cast doubt on the scientific evidence presented by one of its prominent toxicologists, despite a growing chorus of concern from those who rely on his laboratory’s hair-strand drug tests.
The family of a Fort McMurray girl who committed suicide after being bullied at school and on the Internet wants to raise awareness about cyberbullying.
Alberta Health Services is advising anyone who received tattoo services at “Pharaohs Tattooing,” a home-based business at 3519 Centre Street N.W. in Calgary, to be tested for viruses that can be spread through unsanitary tattoo procedures.
A report released yesterday says Alberta’s maternity care system is in the midst of a crisis. The report, by a group called the Maternity Care Consumers of Alberta Network, outlines several major concerns based on the experiences of more than 1,200 individuals who were surveyed online and others who were part of focus groups. The trouble with this story is that there’s no information on who, or what, the group’s objectives are, although its website suggests it’s run by a midwives group.
I have to be out of town tomorrow, so these summaries will return next week. DJC
United Nurses of Alberta